Saturday, September 10, 2005

Sour Herring to begin with...


September 10, 2005 seems to be the special days. Two of my friends birthday (GCH & DL : Happy Birthday again!). But the most eventful moment shall be the "Sour Herring" eating at Stig's place! Stig is my colleague from Northen Sweden. He has invited us to have this Northen Swedish delicate at his garden today.

I made a point to call my sister Vivien 5 minutes before I went to Stig's house to tell Vivien that I was going to have this exotic food. This was because Vivien was here in Papenburg at Stig's place having the moose heart where the sour herring date was kind of set. Unfortunately she is back at M'sia now and probably Stig has to send her the Air-tight can for her to try later.

Well, was it good to begin this "salted fish" + "durian" + "dirty socks" smell in the sunny early evening, I was not quite sure, but I am pretty sure now if I go to brunch at Kim tomorrow, she will definitely need to clean the house immediately :-)

This is actually the fermented herring fish in a can and consumes by most Northen Swedish. When you attempt to open the can, the first air pressure pop out was really smell worst than a dead fish. So, how did we eat then?

Started with a soft Swedish bread, spread with butter, took fish from can - clean the main bone, smashed potato and put them together with some onion on the bread and wrap them then eat! Simple, first bite was alright until you felt the fish. The smell and the salty fish slowly conquer your tongue, that's how the "special smell" gradually occur.

It was kind of experience and I am sure my sister will enjoy it! So, guys... this is definitely something we will not eat in Malaysia and also something like a "Once in a life time" thingy unless you are a Sour Herring maniac like Stig.

Anyway, this is my first blog and I would like to take the opportunity to thank SKook for introducing me to this site. More blogs to come especially my long holiday will kick off soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just you to be so adventurous. I think it's brilliant - only if you can stomach it! Does the aftertaste leave a lot to be desired (like smelly tofu)???

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Ya, tell me about it! It is worse than smelly tofu. First breath the next morning can even kill a cat!! Stig said that some Swedish drank the water in that tin with Vodka, can you imagine that??

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tak, 加油喔 !!! 我们永远支持你 !!!!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Thanks a million!! tak.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home