Friday, November 04, 2005

Versailles ~ Eiffel Tower ~ Notre-Dame



I just thought, although Paris has lots to see and do, but one shall still make a point to visit Versailles even though you only have less than 5 days in town.

Palace of Versailles is a place where former king Louis XIV acquired to be his residence and one of the larges palace in Europe. The highlights of the tour is to visit the State Apartment, King’s and Queen’s apartment; besides the great gardens.

Among all the rooms, the Hall of Mirrors was really beautiful. This is definitely one of the castles that you can compare with the Windsor Castle in England.

Of course, after seeing many castles around Europe, I can hardly remember what is where and which was what. However, one could not resist castle tour if you visit European countries. Just like many cathedrals and churches around the European regions.



After spending half of the day in Versailles, I went to the Eiffel Tower. Being Paris landmark and famous touristy site, Eiffel Tower is definitely a great skyline structure, creating really charming beauty especially when all the lights are on in the evening.



Notre-Dame Cathedral was my next stop and the church was flooded with tourists. I like the Rose Windows very much although I found that most of the European cathedrals and its gothic architecture have only slight different after all. There was even some street performer dressed up as “the Hunchback of Notre-Dame” in front of the church square.

Walked past the Conciergerie, Palace of Justice and the Saite-Chapelle until I reached the St-Germain Quarter where there were lots of people, shops, restaurant, brasseries and cafes around.

Dinner was ½ dozen escargots and duck fillet with French Bordeaux Red….. that was really yummy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah, i like your dinner. me & LS love escargots. the duck fillet sounds good. maybe i need to plan to have Lunas duck for Penang taste since no chance to try French style now !

5:03 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I am sure you will have a chance to visit Paris one day and try the French cruisine there.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually made it to Paris at this point in time when riots are everywhere as reported in the news? I was so concerned and just wished you didn't go as planned. Since you are there...and from the way you describe your trip, it seems to me that it is business-as-usual. Please read news and avoid potentially dangerous areas.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Hey.. I am back in Germany lah! Tourist areas were not so tensed but I did feel uncomfortable using one of the metro line happen to go North to the area that has this riot thingy. That was uneasy, police elsewhere, every commuters became suspicious to the authority. I was fine because I decided to drop the idea of using this metro and went back to Hotel with other line. Thanks lah!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home