Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Art Institute of Chicago

This is my favourite museum in Chicago!!

Although the Field Museum was really good and although I did not make a trip South to visit the Science and Industry Museum to compare, although I can not really compare science to arts; but this is definitely my favorite of the Chicago museum!!

First of all, it was FREE on Tuesday!! I actually planned to get there as soon as the door open (1030am); but I was strolling along the Michigan Avenue and found the Millenium Park so incredibly charming under the morning sun, I delay my visit to noon.



In addition, the photography exhibition of Terry Evans in the park was beautifully charming about Chicago and Cook County; made me stayed a little bit longer than expected. Besides, the music pavilion and the outdoor sculpture were so modern blending in this modern green park, also made me felt terribly pleased to be here!

Well, I was prepared to describe more on the Art Institute but the Millenium Park did attract me a lot! I can imagine how wonderful during Summer time!

OK, now... The Art Institute of Chicago... many famous Impressionist artwork collection, plenty of Claude Monet, many Post Impressionist as well as early century European paintings.



My personal favourite is the "Acrobats at the Circus Fernando"(1879) by the Renoir!! By the way, Georges Seurat's "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte"(1884) where the paintings were made from the dots of colours, is one of the important collection of this museum (where his theory "pointilism" influenced other painters thereafter).

This museum house more than 30,000 works from around the world and it is the largest in the Midwest and one of the best in USA.

I enjoyed the Asian Art as well as the American collections. But, not on the modern arts, still prefer the Impressionist and 17th, 18th & 19th century European paintings. Too bad, there are too much to do and see in one day! After two and half hour in the museum and feeling hungry, I left for food.

So, I wandered around again...Oh, another thing you ought to do when walking around Chicago downtown is : enjoying the different architectural building that created the city's skyline and its amazing views. For example, the "Sears Tower", once the tallest in the world, and many other more.

I went to Navy Pier in the evening, catching an Imax show at 1710, then walking passed the Halloween-to-be zombie, tried looking from the other side of the lake to see Chicago night view strikes through the dark while people started to get in nearby sport bar to watch White Sox played Houston Astros before the Sox became the World Series champion.

When you started to wonder.. the night still young or the winter daylight is short, you know for sure that you have keep really warm walking in this Windy city, especially Navy Pier! It was terribly cold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home