Monday, October 03, 2005

St Louis Gateway Arch

Today is my sightseeing day in St Louis.

Two main site to visit : (1) The Gateway Arch and (2) Budweiser brewery.


The Gateway Arch....
Very impressive landmark, overseeing the Missouri River and standing in front of the River bank as an important icon of the city. This is center piece of the 91-acre Jefferson National Memorial, 630-foot stainless steel Gateway Arch, one of St Louis proud skylines. Built between 1963-1965, designed by architect Eero Saarinen in 1947; established to interpret the story of America's century of westward expansion.

I took the tram that carries visitors to the top of the Gateway Arch from South gate. The tram is very unique and futuristic look in small compartment which consists of eight five-passenger capsules that climb a track up and down the legs of the arch. The trip to the top takes 4 minutes and return to shore is only 3 minutes.

Because of the curve, you have to be very careful balancing yourself in the small space when you are on the top of the Arch. Views from both City end and River end are magnificient. Although I like the city view better, I think the river view has its unique attraction too.

There is a museum elaborating the history of the westward expansion in the basement of the Arch as well.

You could not find any other place in St Louis downtown that offering such a beautiful combination of architectual, cultural, history influences, humanity landmark but the Gateway Arch. I enjoyed this place very much. Oh, the picnic lunch with PY and her 2 sons under the Arch was great too, especially I was having the Hong Kong pastry "poh-loh-pau"....

Anheuser-Busch Budweiser Brewery....
Well, how to say... eheemmm, because I visited the BECKS brewery before, therefore this FOC tour in Budweiser brewery was not really exciting compare to my Becks visit in Bremen, Germany.

The bonus was, we got the chance to test 2 glasses of FOC beers of any kind from the bar. I had "Michelob Golden Draft" (because I asked for something strong) and shared PY's "Michelob Amber Bock". Both are good, but I still prefer German beers for some reasons.

Oh, you need to be 21 years and above in order to consume alcohol in the States. Although I was not asked to show my ID this time, hey guys, trust me...I was asked to show my ID each time when orderding alcohol in America ever since I started visited the country 3 years ago! It is really a BIG compliment for me!! hahahaa...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home