Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Frankfurt-Chicago-Columbus

After I decided to fly on AIR India from FRA-Chicago, I was very much looking forward to a new experience of flying the Indian National carrier. Although it may not have good reputation, no individual back seat TV, old air craft, unknown service and passenger line, I was confident about the flight since this is the cheapest I can get to USA.

It was not too bad after all. Check in was smooth, was asked many questions, anyway this is formality to fly in to USA. I was actually trying to look for FREE Internet station in Terminal A, but could not locate one.

The flight I was on, AI 127 to ORD (Chigaco O'hare International airport) was originally from Mumbai India.(With Stopover in FRA, and destination to Chicago). Expected to have many Indian passengers and few European Travellers. Flight was not full, seat was old and yucky as expected. On board meal was Vegetarian and Non-veg, not the Fish or Chicken type! But, I found them delicious because of the Indian spices cooking. They were just too little compare to MAS. Well, I guess I can not compare MAS since MAS is the best !!

I did not sleep well on the plane, was trying to keep up to the local timing so that I would not have jet lag later. Movie entertainment was not that fantastic, with one hollywood movie and one Indian classic movie. It was kind of experience for me for the first time watching the Indian Movie on a plane and listening to David Tao and Sammi Cheng on the Audio selection.

Plane arrived Chicago at 1625. I was the only Chinese among the Indian passengers and some Germans travellers. Immigration was smooth and I got through with no problem, collecting luggage, head to Midway airport.

My friend PY booked a domestic flight for me from Chicago Midway airport to Columbus at Ohio State. O'hare International airport is about 1 hour car drive to Midway airport. My next flight is 2115 on Southwest Airline.

I got on a shuttle van and there was only 2 passenger heading to Midway after few stops collecting people, taking passengers from other terminal etc...And, finally we were on the highway to Midway, after 45 minutes driving around airport terminals.

First Impression of Chicago O'hare airport was, it look similar to Miami International airport. Chicago is a big city, and I was not in a hurry to see Chicago as I will return to after my Ohio and Missouri trips.

Flight to Columbus was cool, great evening view from both Chicago and Columbus cities. Columbus is the capital city of Ohio state. Scott and his family drove 1.5 hour to pick me up as their house is at Cincinnati.

Midway airport is a domestic airport connecting many American cities. Those you can find in many American movies and people are casual and McD is just in front of the boarding gate where you can grab fast food before boarding.

After I arrived at Columbus and ready to go, Scott appeared. This was the first time we met after so many years of emailing each other! Unbelievable...

It was a long day for me and rewarding to meet up with Scott finally especially knowing that he has booked me to Westin hotel where I need a good night sleep and the Westin Heavenly Bed is just perfect.

Past Midnight now, I will meet Scott's wife Aimee and her daughter Andrea tomorrow... what a wonderful traveling day!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm...looks like i missed quite a few entries, just because I didn't check on Monday. shocked that you could produce so many entries to read at one go
interesting mid-autumn in London
coincidentally, mei san whose base is in London was back last week and i met her for dinner. she's now in malacca and we are planning a trip to kuantan/ cherating

8:07 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

oh, you met up with Mei-san? Please send my very best regards. If she has job in London, tell her I need one :-)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's a freelance translator at local courts, obviously quite an interesting jobs that allows her to travel around to see different cases

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home